Frequently Asked Questions
We hope that by providing some of our most common questions from clients, we are able to better explain why Outdoor Office, LLC is unique and special when it comes to backyard offices and studio spaces. Please read through and if you have further questions that are not listed, or better yet, you want to talk about starting your own Outdoor Office, then please give us a call at (503) 966-1336.
WHAT IS THE COST OF AN OUTDOOR OFFICE BACKYARD STUDIO SPACE TO A HOMEOWNER?
- Outdoor Office sells fully finished and fully installed home offices and backyard studios in the Portland Metro and surrounding areas for both fixed prices ranging from $30,000-$60,000 and custom build prices from an average of $35,000-$65,000. The custom pricing includes all permitting required, design services, on site layout consultations, materials, site prep and foundations, installation costs, all electrical connections from the main house and in office supply, and a large selection of finish materials for both interior and exterior. We also use a large range of door and window manufacturers to allow for multiple configurations and layouts for our custom builds.
Because each home is unique and the variability between sites can alter the preparation, Outdoor Office's fixed price models and layouts do not cover the cost of removing existing structures, trees, landscaping, underground utilities including: electrical wires, sprinkler systems/lines, relay switches, hose bib lines, telecommunication lines, or any cables from the home to the yard space. It also does not cover the cost of upgrading electrical service or main panel upgrades to serve the new office/studio space.
WHAT DOES OUTDOOR OFFICE TAKE CARE OF FOR THE PROJECT?
- In a typical situation, homeowner or clients need to either hire a designer or an architect, buy and submit plans, find a shed builder or general contractor to perform or oversee the work and take care of permitting and all the other paperwork that comes with normal construction. Some choose one or more of these tasks to take on themselves and often ends in high stress, lost opportunities, and higher costs than expected or quoted.
At Outdoor Office, we do things differently. Outdoor Office is responsible for ALL of these items listed above including the design with the clients, any permitting required, plus the construction and installation of your office/studio. Our fixed pricing models are meant to be a quick process for streamlined decision making and therefore reducing any overwhelming feelings clients may have.
DOES THIS INCREASE MY PROPERTY TAXES?
- The addition of an Outdoor Office does not necessarily increase your property taxes as it is not designated as an "improvement" to the property.
WILL THE OUTDOOR OFFICE AFFECT THE SALE OF MY HOME?
- The presence of an Outdoor Office will often enhance the attractiveness of a home on the market. Studies have shown that the opportunity to work from home has increased 30% in the last decade, and since the COVID pandemic more than 25% of the workforce is now planning on remote work on a permanent basis within the next year. This means a home with a fully finished, professional done, and thought out space is quickly becoming a diamond in the rough and should certainly attract more buyers and drive the value and price higher. Of course we recommend speaking to a licensed real estate professional for any direct advice on your home value.
HOW DOES OUTDOOR OFFICE ACCESS POWER OR ESTABLISH ELECTRICAL SERVICE?
- Outdoor Office space access power by connecting to the existing electrical service through the main panel of the home. Outdoor Office does not use sanitary service, water services, or natural gas so no connections are needed or required.
WHAT IF THE ELECTRICAL SERVICE IS INSUFFICIENT TO SERVICE AN OUTDOOR OFFICE?
- Most existing electrical service o a single family home residence is sufficient to support an Outdoor Office. If it is not, Outdoor Office and our electrical team will work with the property owner to upgrade the service to support the new office/studio. The cost of the upgraded service is not included in Outdoor Office's standard pricing and would be added to the quote/build, or taken on by the homeowner directly.
WHAT ABOUT CABLE OR ETHERNET (CAT5E/CAT6) OR WIFI CONNECTIONS?
- Outdoor Office can coordinate with out clients and homeowners who would like to have direct cable ethernet (CAT5e/CAT6) to the office/studio space. Many of our clients home offices/studios are close enough to the main home that a Wi-Fi connection can be made with or without an extender. The fastest growing aspect or addition is a direct connection via CAT5e or CAT6 lines. Our clients can easily add this to the quote and Outdoor Office can handle everything needed to bring the line into the main home. The homeowner is responsible for connecting the line to their router and Outdoor Office will provide the line into the home and all connections inside the office/studio.